Saturday 9 May 2015

Property Advert of the Week: Panania Golf Course Estate - Milperra (1967)

This week's property advertisement dates all the way back to 1967. This time it is from Milperra where blocks of land were on sale from 1775 pounds ($3550). In today's money that represents a bargain at $39 815 according to the RBA inflation calculator. The blocks back onto the Bankstown Golf Club. So going by this advertisement, the land for sale was in what is now Inghram Avenue, Whittle Avenue and Keysor Place in Milperra.

Note again, that in 1967 housing advertisements were allowed to be advertised in pounds as part of the transition from pounds to dollars in 1966 for a two year period.


Source: Parkes Developments. 1967.  "Panania Golf Course Estate (Advertisement)". The Daily Telegraph, April 1: 41. 

2 comments:

  1. Decimal currency was introduced in Australia on 14 Feb 1966, so this ad might be earlier than 1967.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did source straight out of the edition as cited by me. That was not an error. Please note the final sentence of my entry which clears up the confusion for some. For me personally, when I came across those ads post 1966 with pounds, I was asking myself whether it was actually legal to still advertise in pounds. I looked into it and found that you could advertise in pounds for 24 months afterwards.

      Delete