Monday 1 October 2018

SERIES: The Evolution of the Citigroup Centre - Park Tower (1986)

This week, I was going to publish Alan Bond's Skytower proposal of 1987 as part of my series on the Evolution of the Citigroup Centre in Park Street.

Last week, I had mentioned of two schemes that followed the initial 1982 scheme that was bought forward by Bond Waltons. One was for a 35 level tower and another for 43 levels. I had no information on those schemes but assumed that they were very similar schemes with additional floors.

Richard Braddish, modelmaker at Sydney City Council contacted me during the week and provided me with an illustration of the 43 level scheme. I do not know who was the publisher was so I cannot provide a proper citation. I thank Richard for his contribution and providing information to assist me with this entry (but also with the upcoming entries).



The 43 level scheme is dated from 1986 and was named Park Tower. Like the 1982 scheme, the tower was located towards the south-east corner of the site. The height of the building was 176 metres.

While the entire building has a glass facade, I could some identify some similarities with 108 St Georges Terrace in Perth (Commonly known as the Bankwest Tower) which was under construction at the time for the Bond Corporation. The tower was to be triangular shaped but elements of the tower glass facade were also being embedded.

I am surprised that they went for a flat roof instead of an architectural feature or setbacks. One of the sides faced north-west, which I found odd given that office buildings in Sydney seek to maximise the harbour and ocean views provided by facing towers to face north and east like at the ANZ Tower (2013) which faces northeast to provide maximum exposure to views. It also maximises solar access on each floor.

Next Week, I will finally look at Skytower as Alan Bond sought to reach for the skies and make his mark on Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment